A Premier League footballer has been arrested on suspicion of child sex offenses.
The 31-year-old man, who has not been named for legal reasons, was detained on Friday by Greater Manchester Police.
In a statement, the player’s club confirmed he had been suspended and added it would “continue supporting the authorities with inquiries and would not be commenting further”.
The footballer has since been bailed pending further inquiries.
Detectives raided his near £2million home earlier this month in search of evidence.
A spokesman for his club Everton said: ‘We can confirm we have suspended a first-team player’
A source said: ‘Several items were seized by cops. He was questioned in relation to very serious offenses.’
The player returned to his home on Friday night after being allowed to leave the police station where he was questioned.
News of the arrest has shocked the Premier League. The competition’s next season is set to start in under four weeks’ time.
The source added that the news had ‘stunned the dressing room’ and that the player had since ‘gone to ground’ after being suspended.