After seeing City score three in the first half against Leicester on Saturday Night Football, Arteta’s Arsenal produced their own fast start with two goals in the opening 10 minutes.

Gabriel headed Martinelli’s cross wide early on but the opener would soon come. Some intricate play from Odegaard, Partey, Saka, and Ben White, who all combined to release the latter down the right byline, before he squared to Jesus for a simple tap-in.

Arsenal Soccer - Arsenal News, Scores, Stats, Rumors & More | ESPN

Four minutes later, it was two. Another fast break saw Martinelli given the time to swish a superb ball to the unmarked Odegaard at the back post. The Arsenal captain was left with the simple task of slamming home past Lukasz Fabianski.

Arsenal accepted their two-goal advantage and sat on it – failing to create many other clear-cut chances while enjoying over 75 percent of the ball as the half went on. At one point, West Ham fans showed their disgruntlement by booing their own side as they gave the ball away costly.

But Arsenal invited the Hammers back into the contest as a slack Partey had his pocket pinched by Declan Rice, who feed Paqueta in the box quickly.

Arsenal defender Gabriel came across and brought the Brazilian midfielder down – leaving referee David Coote no option but to point to the spot.

Never in a million years' - Pundits react to 'criminal' West Ham penalty against Newcastle -

Benrahma cooly slotted the penalty home as West Ham ended the half in the ascendancy. Antonio saw a header from a Bowen free-kick tipped over by Aaron Ramsdale before White deflected Tomas Soucek’s header wide at a corner.

Both sides showed some impetus going forwards in the opening minutes of the second half and it looked like Arsenal was taking a big step towards a third goal and the three points.

Martinelli’s shot hit Antonio high on the outstretched arm in the box and Coote was once again called to award a penalty.

But Saka, who had scored all four of his Premier League penalties this season, missed the target of Fabianski’s right-hand post – and the significance of that miss was amplified two minutes later.

Thilo Kehrer lifted a long ball over Gabriel’s head and Bowen was there to slam home past Ramsdale.

A tense ending to the game saw both sides try to upgrade the point they had. Jesus came within inches of earning Arsenal’s lead back as he failed to connect with Kieran Tierney’s cross from a few yards out.

Saka then tried to make amends for his penalty miss with a lung-bursting run on the break but saw his shot falls gratefully into Fabianski’s gloves.

At the other end, Bowen searched for a winner on the break but his low shot was well-blocked by Tierney.

Antonio produced the best chance of the final exchanges as he hit the bar from close range from Benrahma’s cross.

But the dropped two points – to go with the two dropped at Liverpool last week – could have major implications on Arsenal’s title hunt.